Some days are better than others, declares Dave. And some mornings are just plain special for the little things. This past week has been a stressful to say the least with a talk to prepare for speaking in Sacrament next week. Then earlier, I accidentally wiped out the hard drive on the computer and cleaned out everything. Reloading the basics was no problem, but the talks and stories I had accumulated...gone!
This week also marked the opening of the Institute Class schedule next week. And there had been delays in getting instructors ready to teach next week (no instructors--then I teach). Getting the class organized, then Zone Conference and High Council Meeting in Hamburg during the week, transfer calls coming for the elders and sisters (which always brings stress to them whether they have to relocate to another city) and then getting the food prepared for and set up the dance for Friday night opening social for the Young Adults from the 5 wards and branches. And it would have been nice if they would just RSVP(respond se vou play?) But they don´t know what that means. It is more like WSUIWGAC(we´ll show up if we get a chance).
Then, with changes coming forth in the mission and the Stake growing and splitting and a new organization happening in the next few weeks, all I needed was an eMail late Thursday night from the Stake Presidency informing me that I am on the Program to speak Friday Night for 10 minutes. Nothing tough, just about the goals and expectations for this coming year in the Bremen Institute. OK, I can speak for 10 minutes just about any time, but on the "goals and expectations..." Paaaalease! I would think the Young Adults would rather pull cobble stone weeds than sit and listen to the goals. But, I will find the time to get that prepared between making my Spanish rice dish, pintos with peppers, and fresh salsa. "Hey, I'm cookin' here!"
Well, I am happy to say, everything hit perfectly last night. Not only did the talk come off well (the kids stayed focused and in their seats). OK, so I said, "no listen to my talk, no eating". The meal was superb and everything got eatin. Helps to have an unexpected turnout of over 40 (I guess they had a chance after all). You like cooking for 40? I do! Helps me relax!
So, back to today. Why did it just become a Super Day? Well, the program preparation, dinner and dance is, well, over. My talk went well, the food tasted great and I got to bed before midnight. Up at 6 this morning, I drive Marie to the train station and she takes a train with a few other women to a day conference in Hamburg (which will last the whole day) and it gives me some quiet time to get my 20-25 minute talk prepared for next week in Wilhelmshaven.
One the way back from the train station, I detour by the Findorff open market. It is Saturday and they are all there early: the farmers, the butchers, the bakers, the little shop owners. And, I am there early, and one that gets to browse and take a few moments to shop in this special place before the crowds hit. Somehow, these hard working "salt of the earth" selling their fresh goods in the open market on a crisp Fall morning brings out the best in people. I pick up a few items today: 10 XXL eggs (that seem and taste like Chicken Little just layed them this morning for ME), some Spanish peaches about the size of softballs, some sliced roast turkey breast with those fresh-baked crispy brötchen rolls for lunch, and I wave and thank them for being there today as they all shout, "...schönen Wochenende" (have a great weekend), and they mean it. Of course I will, I just finished one tough old week last night!
Saturday, September 15, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment